Washington, Iowa, population 7,266 is seeking a high-quality candidate with strong, energetic, and visionary leadership skills to serve as their next City Administrator. Washington is a thriving community located in eastern Iowa, just 30 minutes southwest of Iowa City. It has the advantage of all the resources of major metropolitan areas with less than an hour’s drive while living in a small community with lower cost of living. The City Administrator has 10 direct reports. There is a total of forty-nine (49) full-time employees. The annual operating budget is approximately $15 Million. To learn more about Washington and the position profile, visit their website at https://www.washingtoniowa.gov.
The successful candidate will have experience with economic development, budgeting, and financial management, strategic planning, and be an ethical, creative, responsive and a teambuilder. The next City Administrator shall be a skilled communicator.
- Master’s degree in public administration or related field
- Five (5) years of responsible City or County government operations and management experience
Salary and benefits
- $105,000 to $125,000 annually, depending upon qualifications
- Holidays, Vacation, and Personal Sick Leave
- Health Insurance, Dental coverage, Short-term Disability and Life Insurance available
- IPERS retirement benefits
- A vehicle allowance of $3,600 annually may be provided or mileage reimbursement at IRS rate
- Must obtain valid Iowa Driver’s License
- Cell phone provided or stipend is available to reimburse costs of monthly cellular phone
- Residency within the city limits is required within six months of employment, unless an extension is necessary and agreed upon by both parties
Confidential materials such as a cover letter, resume, salary history, and 5 professional references should be sent to:
Elizabeth Hansen, Midwest Municipal Consulting LLC
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled with the first review on August 23, 2021.