By Mayoral proclamation as of 3/16/2020, the Washington community is in a state of emergency in response to COVID-19, the Coronavirus. The immediate impact of this proclamation is that the Washington Free Public Library is closed to the public until further notice with curb side services available. Large gatherings are strongly discouraged, in accordance with guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC).
In an effort to allow the public to follow the proceedings at City Council meetings during times they may not be able to physically attend, we are also now posting audio of those meetings at: https://washingtoniowa.gov/city-government/city-council-mayor/agendas-council-packets-minutes/. You may also follow the live meetings by web conference by contacting [email protected] or [email protected] for a link. **
Related documents will be posted on this page as updates are available.
Residents are urged to remain vigilant and to follow these general guidelines:
- Stay home if you are sick. Reducing the amount of exposure to ANY illness is critical to keeping people healthy.
- Clean and sanitize frequently-touched items such as desktops, countertops, tables, doorknobs, etc.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer (at least 60% alcohol) if soap and water is not available.
- Cover your cough. If you do cough, make sure you either cough into your elbow or into a tissue that you promptly throw away. Wash your hands and use hand sanitizer immediately after coughing.
Residents are urged to keep up to date by following developments on these websites and other credible sources:
- Washington County Hospitals & Clinics: http://www.wchc.org/getpage.php?name=Coronavirus_2019
- Washington County Public Health Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/washph/
- State of Iowa Coronavirus Portal: https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/COVID19
- KCRG-TV: https://www.kcrg.com/content/news/What-you-need-to-know-about-coronavirus-568738241.html
Washington Schools Updates can be found at: https://washington.k12.ia.us/.
Community & Business Resources, including local business updates, can be found here.