The Chamber gives you a seat at the table to engage with community leaders, learn from your peers and gain visibility with potential customers. Committee involvement is a very effective way to establish yourself as a community leader and create lasting connections with other business leaders while working towards common goals.
Volunteers make up 99% of the Washington Chamber of Commerce and provide valuable insight and direction on how we serve our community. Employees and employers who volunteer improve soft skills, build a larger network, and have better health. For local business owners we encourage volunteerism to be included as part of their work/life balance. A highly engaged workforce is more likely to exert the extra effort and have lower turnover rates, which can be linked to increased output, sales and profitability.
The Washington Chamber of Commerce provides local tourism initiatives that offer many advantages to Washington’s economy and growth. We encourage all chamber and community members to be a part of our Volunteer Committees. We provide short term as well as annual committees to fit your schedule and we have a lot of fun while giving our time and resources. Check out the list below and contact us to see how you can give your talents to the volunteer opportunities in our community!
The Chamber of Commerce has been staffing a volunteer-operated Welcome Center since 2013, keeping the doors of the Welcome Center open to visitors/ tourists. In 2018, every volunteer hour given to the community equals a dollar value of $25.43 and the volunteers who donated time with our organization gave in excess of $63,700!
Washington Chamber of Commerce Committees
Ambassadors – Be a part of the Chamber’s outreach program to members and to the business community. Chamber Ambassadors attend business openings, anniversaries, remodeling events and host ribbon cuttings. Requires purchasing a maroon blazer (approx. $60 if none are available to rent) and a small annual fee of $10.
- Dates are as needed– during the day, after/before work, weekends. Flexible-You make the events you are able to attend. Approximately 30 events per year and quarterly Ambassador Luncheons. (Board Member Rep(s): Jaron, Erin)
Annual Dinner – Help plan, implement, and evaluate the Chamber’s largest member event in partnership with WEDG and Main Street Washington.
- Committee meets from winter through spring. Dinner is scheduled Monday, March 4th, 2019. (Board Member Rep(s): Sarah, and Jaron)
Chamber Golf Fun Days – Help plan, boost sponsorships, and promote a fun golf tournament to the community. Men’s tournament: 2nd Friday in June, Ladies’ tournament: 3rd Thursday in June.
- Meetings are every few weeks from April – June. The 2019 tournaments are scheduled for June 20 (Ladies) & June 21 (Men’s). (Board Member Rep(s): Erik, Matt)
Educators Appreciation Breakfast – Assist the annual recognition of educators & staff in our area to kick off the school year. Help plan this annual breakfast, which helps kick off the school year to an energetic start.
- Committee meets about 2-3 times from May – August. (Board Member Rep(s): Erik)
FlightLine LIVE! – This event features live concerts on a world-class stage at the Washington Airport the first weekend in June. Committee is responsible for selecting entertainment, soliciting sponsorships, coordinating volunteers and volunteering the night of the event.
- Event is June 1, 2019. Committee meets throughout the year. (Board Member Rep(s):)
Government Relations – Help plan and implement the Legislative Briefings, Candidates Forum and Day at the Capitol.
- Meetings are scheduled according to the elections with contested races. (Board Member Rep(s): Makyla)
Leadership Washington – Serve on the committee that plans the annual program and each month’s day. (Requires going through the Leadership Washington program first)
- Meeting are typically the 1st of the month over the lunch hour from September – May. You will need to host one full day during the year to lead your program. (Board Member Rep(s): Jaron, Adam)
Ridiculous Day Committee – Part of Washington’s 4 day summer kick-off event. Featuring: family games, parade, and retail promotions. Help to plan, prepare, promote, and run parts of the event. Event is the 1st Saturday in June.
- Committee will meet monthly from March- June. 2019 event is scheduled for June 1 (Board Member Rep(s): Jaron)
Tour of Homes – Recruit homes to be featured during the Chamber’s annual Tour of Homes on the 1st weekend in December. Homes are decorated for the holidays and will feature architecture, new construction, remodels, and holiday spirit. Volunteers needed to help solicit homes for the tour, orientate the home owners, and volunteer for part of the weekend’s event.
- Meetings are once a month from September – January. The 2019 Tour of Homes will be December 6&7. (Board Member Rep(s): Makyla)
Visitors & Tourism – Meet monthly to stay abreast of any crucial tourism related legislation, be part of regional & state-wide tourism associations and to work on any specific tourism related projects.
- Meetings are every other month on the second Monday of the month from 1-2pm. (Board Member Rep(s):Diane)